I am an idiot.

For most of today, I have been trying to find a way to recover almost 60 GB of images that I’m pretty sure have been sacrificed to the MTBF gods. A little while ago I ran into a bit of a problem where my Aperture library was growing too large for my laptop’s primary disk, so I moved it onto an external drive temporarily while I could figure out a backup solution.

I had planned on implementing at least a partial backup solution at some point within the next couple of weeks (something about which I will write a little later in this post). I wanted to take the time to properly plan it, ensure it was redundant and as bullet-proof as I could make it, and then fully implement it and get it ready to go.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the time when that external hard disk decided it didn’t feel like working anymore.

Continue reading